HomeAbout MeEtsyDollsMy Art

Friday, September 3, 2010

Entry Hall or Foyer

An entry hall or foyer has always been an absolute necessity to me. Once, when we lived in an apartment, I devised an entry hall with cupboards as walls. This house was built in 1888. It is an Italianate in style, and we bought it in December of 2005. It was the entry hall that lured me the most.
Although the wallpaper may seem a bit garish to some, I still love it. It is very old, and does not stand out so much in person. The companion wallpaper in the front parlor works perfectly with it.

Little Clothilda sits in her 1880's, French settee. She is an 18th century styled doll that I made from a Gail Wilson kit. I named the doll. Gail's kit was simply called 18th Century Doll, and she is no longer making this one.
My beautiful antique doll, Faith, sits in her wee Windsor in front of my favorite mirror of all. Some believe it is an Eastlake, but I see a tad of Renaissance Revival in it. Faith is holding a Schneeman doggie. I bought both Faith and the doggie at Olde Glory in Waynesville, Ohio.

Below is the front parlor showing the front door through a one sliding pocket door entrance to and from the entry hall and parlor. The companion wallpaper is often referred to as Patrician, for it is so tiny and delicate, yet rich.



Below is more of the front parlor. I have a juxtaposition of primitive with Victorian and formal things. I love what I love, and do not strive for a "stage setting" per se. The table in the center of the room is an 18th century tavern table from Pennsylvania. I love the large buttocks basket under the table. I am not responsible for the fancy swag drapery. I am not eager however to remove it, yet, if ever.

Back to making the dolls!



5 comments:

  1. Totally lovely and beautiful! I love the wallpaper. I love Italianate architecture,too. You have placed everything elegantly!

    Yesterday I visited the new and tiny Tasha Tudor Museum housed in the Brattleboro Historical society, Next week I will show photos on my blog. You would have been SO HAPPY there..I mentioned you to Amy Tudor and how you liked the Tasha. Were your ears burning?!

    XO Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is so beautiful , Christine!!!! And I love your period furniture.... Long time no see!!! We should do lunch one day...
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Christine, Absolutely beautiful! Every picture I viewed was wonderful---thank you for sharing.

    We go to historial Galena, Illinois every fall and have for 15years now. We never tire of this fabulous little town. Lot's of beautiful Victorian homes inside and out like yours.

    We will be going there in October and can't wait. Have you ever been there, if not Christine it is right up your alley!

    It is a beautiful day here in Des Moines and I am pleased that "fall" is arriving.

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful my friend...I have always loved & longed for an entryway...we've never hard one ..perhaps I will devise one as you did :)


    Our home too is a collection of things I hold dear and enjoy :)

    Hugs to my dear Zwee!!!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Christine...
    So very beautiful! I love the vintage elegance of the entry way. The living room is so lovely...your taste in furniture and accessories compliment the architecture beautifully.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete